Saturday 9 October 2010

Symposium Saturday

So, today we had a day long symposium at the Uni organised (in perfect style) by my friend and colleague, Lisa. A good day had by all. It included a visit from acclaimed playwright Alistair Beaton, whose keynote achieved that difficult balance between comedy and intellectualism - an important balance given that the symposium was on comedy and satire! I met Mr Beaton by the tea stand (where I inevitably hover during symposia!). Looking at the name badge attached to a blue strap to be hung about one's neck he exclaimed, "goodness, it feels like the Tory party conference!". Ha! We then proceeded to have a fascinating conversation about the joys of traveling first class on the train. I can't agree with everything he says (though we do agree on the train issue) but he is an entertaining fellow.

I am sitting in the bedroom wearing my new Roger Waters t-shirt (which is bright yellow with a cool pattern) which arrived this morning. Looking forward to his concert next year - the reviews have been great so far, though D is not letting me watch any youtube videos of it. He wants it to be a big surprise! I've got a Dutch apple cake in the oven (which I mustn't forget about) to share with a lovely couple from church who have invited us over for lunch tomorrow. The flat is a bit of a mess (it always is by week three of term!) but, given that it's Saturday night, I don't much fancy starting the cleaning. Apart from anything else I've been feeling a little under the weather. A lot of my students have been really sick and D has felt poorly for a couple of weeks now so it is definitely my turn. Hopefully with a bit of rest and plenty of Echinacea tea I'll be able to ward it off.

Right, must get this cake out. Enjoy the weekend one and all.
CSW

p.s. (3 minutes later) cake successfully out! Of all the recipes I use this is the one that makes my flat smell the nicest. Oh too yum! Man, I need a Twitter feed for that kind of information!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?