Saturday 14 December 2013

Nearing the end of term

While November was a busy month, December seems to have been equally packed with fun and frolicking. So far this month:

1) I have given an invited talk at the University of Hull, Scarborough. This was a really fun event and gave me the opportunity to visit a town I hadn't been to before. I really liked Scarborough and even had the privilege of visiting the Edith Sitwell's birthplace Woodend. I stayed at the Crown Spa (much recommended) and ate Yorkshire curd tarts (equally recommended). The journey back was a little more exciting than it should have been due to the weather. Everyone in the world seemed stuck at York station for a couple of hours!
2) I have done lots of marking...and there is a ton more to come! It all adds up to about 70 separate pieces of work to mark - phew!
3) I have been back on Radio Lincolnshire as part of the lunchtime debate show. We discussed flooding, Mandela, bicycles and Christmas trees...all the big issues of the day.
4) I have travelled over to Manchester for a couple of real annual leave days with the parents. This included a jolly meal out with extended family (including my marvellous 93 year old grandad) and a day trip to the spa at Mottram Hall.
5) I have visited an academic I have admired for many years in Sheffield and he was every bit as interesting and gracious as I thought he'd be. Days out like this one confirm that I am in the world's greatest profession.
6) I have watched two films: the new Wolverine (very good romp) and a fantastic movie about air drumming. I have finished James Robertson's And the Land Lay Still (brilliant, amazing etc etc) and am currently on to EM Forster's Howard's End. We are still watching Borgen (gets better and better).

...and that's about it, I think! And now Christmas is around the corner. We have lots of exciting trips, travels, events and meet ups planned, although I am hoping for a) some rest time and b) some space to write this new article on John Piper.

Well, I'm off to carry on proofreading the new book which I'm hoping to submit by the end of the week. Yes, I know it's a Saturday.
CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?