Friday 14 December 2012

Christmas is coming...

So, we start with a disappointment that made my heart sore: Asia have cancelled their December tour because drummer Carl Palmer is sick. We had onstage tickets for Holmfirth on Sunday evening and front row seats at the Royal Northern in Manchester next Friday. We are so sad we won't get to see the Asia boys this year.

That said, everything else is going along swimmingly. D has had busy work week though is starting to slow down now. I feel as if I'm slowing down too. I am more sleepy in the mornings and feel like curling up in front of old wrestling videos in the evenings. It's funny how you feel like this when Christmas approaches. Although I have been on sabbatical this term, we haven't had any time off really since early September and this term has been full of travelling, writing, D's new job and plenty of other bits and pieces. We are very much looking forward to some time out. I might even get 'off grid' for a couple of days. I spend so much time staring at screens that I think my eyes need a break!

This week I have been to my departmental Christmas do, watching the Wizard of Oz at the LPAC (brilliant, wonderful, magical), enjoying a Christmas concert from the Lincoln Chorale and editing, editing, editing all that stuff I wrote during acwrimo. I have also been using my Christmas present this week and, before you say it, D gave me permission. Last weekend we had to go to B&Q to get 80kgs of sand for...my new punch bag! I even have pink gloves. I messed around a little earlier in the week and then did a proper workout yesterday. Man, I was so tired by the end that I could barely lift my water bottle to my mouth. Funnily enough, my arms feel OK today but my calves are so tight! I have loved boxing training since my bi-weekly combat classes in Edinburgh so it feels really good to be back. The idea of actually being in a fight is terrifying though, so I think I'll just stick to the bag!

Now our gig is cancelled (sob!) we have a very quiet weekend in store, although I will be riding Tommy tomorrow which should make everything more cheery! I am also going to start my pre-Christmas clean up which involves cleaning the entire house top to bottom and sorting everything out in readiness for next weekend. We are also watching the second series of Treme. We loved the first series of this box set and, going by last night's episode, this one is going to be as good. Lack of John Goodman is a little sad though. I had forgotten how hard these HBO series make you work! They give nothing to the audience but, if you persevere, they are wonderfully vibrant and thought-provoking.

Anyways, another cup of tea is beckoning and a little more editing before a half hour yoga session to stretch the calves and some dinner.

Hope everyone is having a happy Christmas preparation time.
CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?