Wednesday 10 February 2010

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Well, I may now live further south than previously but today Edinburgh was bright and sunny whereas here in Lincoln we had some serious snow. All quite exciting actually.

So I finished 'Lillies' last night. I couldn't sleep (funny how insomnia hits at times - no real reason at all!) so sat up until half one watching the last episode. I would definitely recommend it and it seems a shame they only did one series. Lots of interesting class and family issues to mull over. I have now moved on to my next box set (another provided by D) - 'Berkeley Square'. It looks at the lives of three nannies at the turn of the century (C19-C20 that is - goodness I hadn't quite realised that now we have entered the C21 this sort of statement becomes a little confusing!) and their households. I've only watched a couple of episodes (I had quite a bit of ironing this evening!) but am enjoying it so far.

This evening I spent a good couple of hours working on a play I am directing in the new term. It is Ewan MacColl's 'Uranium 235' and I've wanted to do a wee student production of it for a good long time. It looks at the development of nuclear fission; not a very exciting theme for a play you may say, but MacColl creates a very exciting, varied piece, with a bit of dialogue, a bit of dance, a bit of music and, inevitably, a large scoop of lefty politics. Really looking forward to leading the students through it.


Listened to the 'Sherlock Holmes' soundtrack as I wrote. Zimmer did a great job. It is really atmospheric and reminds me of a very happy day with D.

Anyways, I'm off to bed. A nice but busy teaching day tomorrow and, after my 'Lillies' marathon last night, I think some snoozing might be in order. Boris and David the Pot-bellied bear are still doing their best to keep me company.

Have a fab week.
CSW

2 comments:

  1. I think that Nuclear Fission is a wonderful thing to write a play about. Is it a bit Brecht?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a lot Brechtian. A whole host of distancing devices, a bit of music, and a great wodge of metatheatre. I'm considering using Brechtian placards for it as well, especially to introduce the dates a la 'Mother Courage'. Cheers for the comment. I'll keep the blog updated with how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Want to say hello?