Thursday 25 February 2010

A quick review or two


Evening folks,
Just a quickie to fill you in on last night's film and today's reading matter. So it was Ironman last night with the increasingly lovely Robert Downey Jnr. He is fab in this film and it was very enjoyable. My highlight, obviously laying RDJ to one side for a moment, were (surprisingly really) Ms Paltrow as Pepper Potts, who I thought did a brilliant job of recreating the character.

What I really liked about this film was (as D flagged up before I watched it) there was none of the usual, irritating 'is he, isn't he' motif going on. Superman only has to wear glasses and suddenly no one recognises him (ah, Dean Cain...), Spiderman gets himself into all sorts of trouble trying to conceal his identity, Batman hides behind the facade of the playboy. Ironman is Tony Stark and everyone knows it. In fact, in a complete subversion of comic book devices, Stark decides to directly tell the assembled press. Really looking forward to the next one, especially as Mickey Rourke has joined the cast, and I enjoyed his performance in The Wrestler very much (there's another film to watch, though it is very tough so brace yourself).

As I mentioned yesterday, I'm bashing on with reading the plays for Post-Modern British Drama and I got about halfway through Equus today. It is a very peculiar play about psychological damage, worship, religion and the way we connect events and images...oh and horses. Not sure what to make of it yet, other than it is quite unsettling. Although it is a play it feels like a piece of physical theatre in many ways (had a fascinating conversation with a colleague to this effect today) and I am still at a loss to know how anyone would successfully direct it. For me, it could be placed in my ever-growing 'unperformable play' box. Perhaps I'll try and find some footage from the recent Daniel Radcliffe version. Was thinking today that if, as I expect, the teenage girls all flocked to Broadway to see this production (to see Harry P in the buff - completely in the buff actually!) then they must have got a bit of a shock. Wizards and wands this ain't! But it is interesting...

Anyways, hope everyone is doing well and enjoying the evening.
CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?