Wednesday 9 February 2011

Brooker and Flintoff Versus the World

Evening! After a total whitewash in our squash game tonight (D beat me six games to nil...and I didn't even play that badly!) we are now sitting watching England v Denmark and enjoying a peaceful night at home. It's been a lovely day of lectures and interviews, and, to my relief, my voice held out. It's been a little dodgy for a few days now. My throat is a bit sore but otherwise I feel totally fine. I'm hoping it won't escalate into something more dramatic!

So, last night we watched a bit of TV and, rather unusually, caught two interesting, enjoyable shows. My opinion of television is generally low - it appeals to the lowest common denominator of humanity. But here were two programmes I actually enjoyed. The first was Flintoff Versus the World, a show that follows ex-England cricketer, Freddie Flintoff, as he travels round the world with a couple of mates taking on extreme challenges like jumping off cliffs and riding bulls. So far, so predictable. However, Freddie is so endearing and sweet that it becomes rather lovely entertainment.

The second was the wonderful Charlie Brooker's How TV ruined your life. It was funny, smart and insightful. Last night Brooker was discussing the problem of lifestyle shows that present a totally unreasonable, (paradoxically) unreal view of reality. While I have a penchant for the occasional house design programme, I largely hate this sort of telly. I particularly hate shows that rely on either a) telling people with a modicum of talent and an on trend haircut that they are the next Whitney Houston/Stevie Wonder/etc or b) telling people already on an emotional knife-edge that they have no talent at all and are, actually, delusional fools. Preserve me! Fortunately, in Charlie Brooker, I have found a kindred spirit and he can rant and rave on prime time telly while I cheer on from the sofa. The language is a bit fruity so be warned if you catch it on iplayer.

Anyways, the game has finished and England has won a totally pointless, uninspiring match. Compare it to the Super Bowl and weep, UK sport fans. D has shoved on the latest episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm so more Larry is on the way. One more crazy teaching/meeting/admin day tomorrow and then a Friday research day to crack on with the Greenwood paper and book proposal. Looking forward to Friday Jazz as well.

CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?