Monday 16 May 2011

The Wow Factor

The title of today's blog is my least favourite aphorism in the English language. My hatred for this expression has been exacerbated recently by BBC Two's evening show, the Great British Menu. It is always quite fun to watch this while eating dinner (tonight it was hummus, falafel and salad pittas and frozen yogurt) but the frequent use of this cliche is driving me crazy. Tonight it was used five times...in a half hour show! Insane! What does it mean?!

I followed that up with a lovely workout. Getting a bit sweaty every day is definitely the key. I wore my Lincoln City away shirt, still in mourning for the Imps' relegation nightmare. And (what is now a Monday night ritual) we watched Game of Thrones. It was a particularly brutal episode with slightly too much tomato ketchup for my liking. But this series continues to impress. Tyrion Lannister is still my favourite. He has all the best lines. As I said before, be warned if you are going to give this series a go! But it is a fascinating exploration of power and court corruption.

We had a great Sunday with a preach on election - all very interesting, particularly for me as a four and a half pointer! This after a terrific meal at Doddington Hall with our friends. I was very glad to see the ribs on the menu. I've been eating far more veggie food recently as it is better for me and for the world, but those ribs are just too delish!

Today I have been holed up in my office in my old jeans working through my marking pile. It isn't going too badly and, as usual, there are some very bright moments. One strong filter coffee, lots of water, a selection of tunes (from Zimmer's soundtrack to Modern Warfare to Asia's Omega) and the sound of Lincoln rain battering the window helped me through, that and the gradual countdown to concert excitement and our Beijing trip. We have now booked a trip to the Great Wall (figured it would be better to hike up with folks who knew what they were doing than wander around on our own) and a day exploring the lesser-known parts of the city off the tourist trail. It's going to be amazing. I can't believe it's just around the corner now. I feel as if I have a lot of work to do before heading off!

Well, D is watching Muse concerts on youtube and I fancy a cuppa before bed. More marking tomorrow, though I'm hoping to get some Book in as well. D has found a new cafe (now our beloved Portico has changed hands) called the Angel so I might give that a go for a couple of hours and crack on with the redrafting. Hope everyone is having a great week.

CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?