Sunday 8 May 2011

Back to blogging

So, as promised, I finally return to blogland after a week's hiatus. As predicted, blogging was not top of my list this week as assessments took over. But what a good week we had! It began with the first year performances. All the students had worked so hard and it really showed. My group then 'enjoyed' a super long tech rehearsal. Big up to our sensational LPAC tech boys who remained full of good humour even at 10.45 at night. I love tech rehearsals and even I was beginning to lose the will to live! The Adding Machine went really well and I was so proud of the students. They created something really innovative. Elmer Rice would have been very proud and, I imagine, somewhat surprised by the production. DV8 dance moves, plugging actors into computers and brilliant projections meant that it looked a little different from the original!

After the fire works of the first years, it was on to the third years' Early Modern assessments. I watched a lot of Volpone and Dr Faustus and was hugely impressed by the exciting work created. There were some really brilliant performances. We finally finished at 7.06 pm on Friday night. It was a long week, but it was all so fun. We have some brilliant, talented and imaginative students at the University of Lincoln and last week was a real celebratory showcase.

To end the week, I went to a conference on innovative women's theatre group, the Pioneer Players hosted by the University of Hull. It was a really great event. I don't know a great deal about this society but I want to mention it in the book. This conference was a really helpful introduction and allowed me to meet a load of interesting folks.

So, all in all, a good week had by all. And to top it off D has just booked flights back to Seattle for the end of August. We are so looking forward to seeing our friends again. I think we'll also be heading up to Canada - D really wants to take me to Vancouver. There were only two blips on my week...both sporting related: 1) Lincoln City were relegated from the football league after a terrible display at Aldershot. D went to support the Imps while I attended the conference and said it was the worst performance he had ever seen. The die-hard supporters were absolutely gutted. 2) Christian won the World Heavyweight Championship (hoorah!) and then promptly lost it to Randy Orton at Smackdown just five days later (boo!). Sorry, on to wrestling there just in case you missed the quick change of direction. At least it makes for a great storyline. D has booked tickets for Raw when the WWE hit the UK in November. So, I'll be attending my first live wrestling event.

Anyways, tomorrow is the start of my research summer, although this week is really taken up with meetings and marking. I am so looking forward to getting back to the Book and a number of other wee projects that I have on the go right now.

Hope all of you guys are doing well. This morning D and I were counting our blessings. He is great at this, while I have the tendency to find worries even when there really aren't any! I realised that life is proper exciting at the moment and I am so grateful for all that is going on.

CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?