Thursday 29 July 2010

Inception and a boy free zone

Well here I sit home alone as D had headed up to Edinburgh for a couple of days. Sadly it's for a funeral rather than a jolly holiday. He'll be back on Sunday but until then I have the flat to myself. I'm hoping to get lots of work done while he's away; apart from anything else this Regionality paper needs to be finished by Saturday. Phew!

But today was a day away from the computer for a wee trip to Leeds to visit the Luehrmann's. It was so lovely to spend some time with Em, Anna, Elijah and Rosie. They all seemed very well indeed. I've been missing Carrubbers friends recently so it was super to see them. It only took a couple of hours on the train and it's great to have them so close.

So last night we finally got to see Inception. I don't want to give the game away so no spoilers, I promise. Suffice to say, you really need to see this film. It is just magnificent. Though it's pretty high concept (entering someone else's dream space? Eh?) it is directed with such subtlety that it just works. Strangely given that it is (arguably?) a kind of science fiction/psychological thriller film, it was the realism that really struck me. It dramatised my own experience of dreaming - waking up with a fall, seeing people out of context, bringing subconsciously repressed material (don't worry, nothing too weird!) to the surface. Man, I just loved it. D and I talked about it for ages afterwards.

So, a couple of big work days and trying not to miss D too much!

CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?