Tuesday 6 July 2010

Writing papers and playing games

Well, it is pretty late so I'll be brief...today was spent doing a bit of tweaking on the conference paper and doing a bit of work on the book chapter. Actually I got quite a bit done and even got the guest sheets washed in preparation for my friend Julia who is coming to visit at the weekend.

So last weekend came and went. We had a lovely time at Doddington Hall and the food was just as good as ever. Sunday was spent at church and we enjoyed a happy lunch with our Pastor and family. We went for a wee walk after eating and D met another new doggie.

A good few games of squash tonight. I pushed D pretty hard and we both ended up very hot and sweaty! I even won a couple of games. When we came out it was raining! Rain is that wet stuff that falls from the sky and we haven't seen it in Lincoln for a month and a bit, other than in a couple of night storms.

Currently listening to a mega double album - the soundtrack for Shutter Island. I haven't seen the film but the album is a great mix of modern classical tracks. Lots of fabulous clashy modern chords. Not exactly restful most of the time but certainly invigorating. Furthermore, I can now do my research under the watchful gaze of Picasso's ladies. D bought me a print of Les Demoiselles D'Avignon (1907) for Christmas and I have (shamefully) only just got round to getting it framed. The framers seem to have done a great job and I'll hang it in my office tomorrow. I'm sure I'll have some very stimulating conversations with the ladies over the next few years.


Anyways, I'm off to bed. I'll do a couple of conference posts and let you know whether I had the chance to schmooze with the Poet Laureate or not.

CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?