Monday 18 January 2010

Back down south

Afternoon! Well, I'm back in Lincoln after a great weekend in Edinburgh seeing the boy. As you can see I now have t'internet at home, although I can't quite get the wireless system to work properly yet. Generally D does all that sort of thing so I'm quite proud of myself.

A very pleasant time in first class this morning - lots of free tea (a big plus in my books) and biscuits and a very quiet, peaceful carriage. Even managed to get some work done though I must admit I finished Sharpe's Siege just before Doncaster. Even an hour wait in the chilly waiting room at Doncaster station couldn't dampen my spirits.

Two highlights of the weekend (other than just seeing D of course but that goes without saying). For Saturday lunch we took the inlaws to The Plumed Horse, Edinburgh's newest addition to the Michelin list. What a fab meal we had! Everything was completely delicious. D and I reminisced about some of the truly spectacular meals we have eaten since we've been married - not from kitchen chez Warden I hasten to add. D got his foie gras (yes, I know the RSPCA would be after him if they knew) and I got my fish fix. They even served blackcurrent jelly as a petite four - sweet!

Second highlight was Peter Jackson's visit to Carrubbers. He was a very cool guy. Blind from the age of 1 1/2 he spoke about overcoming adversity and the importance of his faith. He is a brilliant pianist and really very entertaining. Joke of the day was:

I was walking down the street the other day and it was raining cats and dogs. Unfortunately I stepped in a poodle.

Comic brilliance! Also finished Twilight. If I had been a 14 year old teenage girl I think I would have loved it. As it happens I got a little bit sick of the descriptions of Edward's gorgeousness - is it only me who thinks he is a little creepy? A gripping storyline of course but it felt like it was either a) written by an adolescent or b) written by someone who knows exactly what adolescents want...and exactly how lucrative that is. I have the next one on my coffee table and I might give it a go - we'll see.

So this is a week of meetings and greetings, and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone better and settling into University life. Thanks to all who have sent cards and hugs - we are very glad to have your friendship.

Enjoy the week. I'll post later with more news/ramblings.
CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?