Wednesday 27 January 2010

Have we reached Wednesday night already?

This is my first week of teaching and life is dashing by around me at rapid pace. Classes are going well so far. Lots of fun!

In the evenings, I am keeping myself occupied with a bit of TV, lots of reading and a couple of films. As you can see from the side bar, my current favourite soundtrack (when I'm in the middle of writing something soundtracks become an absolute essential - currently trying to come up with three new option modules!) is from the very interesting (at least more interesting than I thought it would be) film, 'Kingdom of Heaven'. D and I were also discussing the merits of the new 'Sherlock Holmes' soundtrack which is really very unusual indeed. Already anticipating the latter coming out on DVD and adding a copy to the Warden's ever-increasing selection of films...which is now, thanks to D, in an ordered system. Films are grouped generically and then, within the genres, alphabetically. It's a guy thing (for confirmation see Nick Hornby's brillig 'High Fidelity')!

In keeping with 'High Fidelity' here comes my current favourite list of study soundtracks for those times when a song with words is just way too distracting:
1) 'Gladiator' by Hans Zimmer - it remains a classic.
2) 'Lord of the Rings' by Howard Shore - just because there is SO MUCH of it so you don't get distracted having to choose a new CD to put on.
3) 'Con Air' by Trevor Rabin - daft yet entertaining film, but for all that Trev (of Yes fame) does an amazing job with the soundtrack.
4) 'A Beautiful Mind' by James Horner - again a classic...that makes you want to do maths!
5) 'The Dark Knight' by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard - this still scares me to death but it is quite exciting to work to.

Anyways I'm back up to Edinburgh this weekend (can you collect rail miles?) and exploiting the excellent hospitality of the in-laws. Looking forward to seeing Carrubbers folks on Sunday. Might take the next Twilight on the train...then again I might stick to Dramaturgy and Maeterlinck's 'The Intruder' - the options are endless!

Will try and write a wee something over the weekend.
CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?