Saturday 30 January 2010

A Sunny Morning in Edinburgh

Good morning one and all,
I am currently sitting in my inlaws' front room in perfect peace. D has gone for breakfast with a friend and, though I woke up when he did, I must admit I went back to 'snoozeland' and dreamt about the dramaturgy projects my students are currently embarking upon - what a geek!

Had a good, straight forward journey yesterday and arrived in Auld Reekie just before 2. I must admit I then sneaked off for a quick run round the Turners at the Royal Academy before finding a Starbucks for a vanilla steamed milk (yes, I am five years old) and a read through the intro to the new book. The gallery only exhibits the Turners during the month of January to keep them in perfect nick (too much sunshine the rest of the time apparently, though I must admit that is not the Edinburgh I know!) and they are truly amazing. D always says that I respond to visual art in quite an emotional (I'd say almost visceral) way and never is this more true then when I look at these beautiful wee paintings. This is one of my favourites.

After a long (but good, I hasten to add) day of teaching on Thursday, I decided to watch a film. Wading my way through the Warden collection (indeed in is akin to the Vaughan bequest, to carry on the Turner theme) I came across the Roman Polanski version of Tess of the D'Urbervilles and decided to give it a go. It is, as with all the Polanski films I've seen (check out his version of Oliver) beautifully shot. Incredibly atmospheric. It is also (in line with Hardy's original) completely depressing. I won't spoil it by telling you the ending but the final scene of the sun rising above Stonehenge (oh man, I had a Spinal Tap moment there - I bet that is the first time Thomas Hardy and Spinal Tap have been mentioned in the same sentence) was imbued with misery rather than hope. Smelly (affectionate name for sistery person) rang just as it was finishing which took the edge off it - in a good way.

Anyways, hope everyone is well and happy. Didn't crack open the new Twilight book on the train btw - I was too busy reading Dramaturgy set texts! Oh, and as an aside, the new Rugby Super League season started last night. For those unacquainted with the differences between the rugby codes (this is particularly for my American friends or anyone who was born south of Crewe) there are two different types of rugby - Union and League. Union is the 'boring, lots of kicking, fighting in the scrums' code and League is the 'beautiful, running, exciting, bring the fam and enjoy the banter' one. So League it is then... My team is the Wigan Warriors and has been ever since I saw the great Va'aiga 'Inga the Winger' Tuigamala racing down the pitch. So come on the Cherry and Whites!

Enjoy the weekend folks
CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?