Wednesday 12 January 2011

In London

So, contrary to my last post which said you wouldn't receive any new updates until my return on Friday, here I am sitting in the front room of my hotel, listening to Classic FM and taking advantage of free Wifi. Hoorah! And if you are looking at the time of the post and thinking 'academics are lazy good-fer-nothins' then, for your information, the archive doesn't open until 10.15. If you want to imagine where I am then I'm staying on Holland Road, just off Kensington High Street.

It was a good day yesterday filled with some totally amazing documents. I spent a good couple of hours on one file which contained three lovely Workers' Theatre Movement newsletters from the 1930s. I've already found some great potential graphics for the front of the book. I want to have a nice striking cover and, fortunately, the fab 1930s print block designs of Unity Theatre totally lend themselves to this. Watch this space!

So, am just about to walk back down to Blythe House (V&A archive) and do some work on the Unity Newsletters which are waiting for me. It is the first archive I have visited where they actually weigh each file to make sure you haven't taken anything. Every library has its own funny ways of doing things. Everyone there has been super helpful and kind. Tonight I'm off to Theatreland to see a play and then it's back to Lincoln tomorrow. Good times! Am not feeling quite at my best today. Was a bit sick and headach-y last night and, although I feel heaps better, it has knocked me about a bit. It is very unusual for me to be ill like this. I haven't caught any sort of bug for about 4 years so it was probably my time. Here's hoping that it'll be onwards and upwards today.


Enjoy the day, whatever you do.
CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?