Saturday 29 January 2011

Snoozy Saturdays

Goodness, it's been a busy week! I finished working at 1.30 this morning. D stayed up with me and we enjoyed some great vintage Yes. I realised that Endless Dream actually makes my come over all emotional, though it might have been the combination of amazing music, extreme tiredness and a looming deadline.

After the craziness of the week, it's been a pretty slow start to Saturday. We had a bit of a long lie and then I spent the morning rereading Wole Soyinka's strange, incredible play, Death and the King's Horseman. Although British and Nigerian cultures are, to a certain extent, juxtaposed, this is not really a 'clash of cultures' play. In fact Soyinka himself thinks that just presuming it is a play about colonial relations is a bit reductionary. Rather, it is a study of the Yoruba culture. The language is beautiful and it confronts a number of really difficult issues. We'll see what the students make of it on Monday. I heard Soyinka speak in Edinburgh a couple of years ago. He is incredibly charismatic and passionate. I didn't agree with everything he said but he was extremely inspirational. I am also teaching classes on Brecht, the Theatre of the Absurd, and the Living Newspaper tradition over the course of the next few days.

I'm trying to couple this with some proper research work, though, I must admit, this week the teaching took priority. Because of the way my teaching falls, I actually have two research days this week and am looking forward to finishing the first draft of the Book and preparing two book proposals. Phew!

Other than work and workouts, life has passed me by this week. We did get to LEC's first ever homegroup on Thursday. It was an exciting moment in the life of our church. We are in a lovely group and had some good chat about fellowship. D's reruns of Curb Your Enthusiasm also continue apace. I think we have just entered series 3. I even found myself feeling sorry for Larry the other night. Blimey!

Anyways, I'm off to do a bit of cleaning and listen to the football. D is watching Aberdeen-Celtic and, given that Aberdeen are already down 4-0, I think the poor boy might need a coffee! Have a great weekend one and all.

CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?