Friday 14 January 2011

Loving London and back to Lincoln

Hey folks!
So I made it back to Lincoln after another day in the archive and a brief coffee with my old Aber buddie, Becca, at Embankment Starbucks. Had a lovely trip home reading Trollope's Barchester Towers on my Kindle. I have never read this book before though it is one of my Grandad's favourites so I thought I'd give it a go. It is a wonderfully satirical take on the Church of England and religious pretense. Give it a go if you like big Victorian novels!

After spending a happy three days in the Capital I realised why I like it so much down there:
1) there are always things to do and there is excitement in the air, especially around Leicester Square which is really a Southern urban version of Blackpool...with great theatres.
2) there is an incredible work ethic. When I sit in a coffee shop in London I definitely get proportionately more work done than in the equivalent cafe elsewhere. I know that these TV home programmes are littered with people wanting to escape the demands of London life, but I really like the hard work concept. Folks are ambitious and, while this doesn't always manifest itself in the most positive ways, there is something quite inspiring about that.

But then there is the terrible air quality, fighting for a seat on the tube and the eye-watering prices, so it isn't all good. I'm certainly not sure if I could live there.

Since returning I have mostly spent my time marking. I have now finished! Tomorrow is set for research - I'm nearing that Holy Grail 70,000 word mark. I might even head up to the Farmers' Market for an ostrich burger or two. We have a couple of films to watch, books to read, a flat to tidy (my office is a bombsite!) and a cake to make for church lunch. I'm going for something spectacular a la Nigella.

Oh and guess who's back at WWE Raw...


Shaun is back, ladies and gents! Hoorah and hooray! It was only a brief return to celebrate his admission into the Hall of Fame but even so...His sweet chin music (that's his signature kick move for those non-wrestling fans out there) on Del Rio proves the old guy's still got it. HBK, HBK!

Feeling much better today. Still a little bit weird but much better. Think I'll attempt a work out in a minute and see how I get on. I'm enjoying the EA sports active software. I have started a 9 week challenge and so far, so good. It really mixes it up so there's no time for boredom and the skipping sessions are brutal!

Enjoy the weekend guys!
CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?