Tuesday 8 March 2011

London's Calling take two

I've just arrived back from my second trip to London in the space of a month and a half. After returning from my last trip, the archivist sent me an email saying that the material I was searching for, that seemed to have disappeared into the ether, had actually reappeared. 'Hoorah', saith I. Cue another trip down to the Capital. This time it was just for the day though, which meant an early train. Given that I was travelling first class, however, it also meant free tea, peace and lots of fruitful working time. You will be pleased to know that this morning I finished the dreaded Greenwood paper. I have lost any ability to discern whether it is any good or not, but it is done and will be sent off tomorrow morning. Double 'hoorah'! So these are the variety of topics that have entered my head today:

1) Guys who wear brown shoes with a black suit almost certainly are not married
2) How I wish that good word processing had been invented earlier! I spent most of the day crouched over barely decipherable typewritten sheets...with pencil corrections!
3) Bodeans' pulled pork is surely the greatest food ever created
4) Oxford Circus is unbearably busy at 6pm on a week day
5) St Pancras station is class (and even has D's favourite patisserie, Pauls) whereas King's Cross currently resembles a set from post-apocalyptic thriller, Children of Men. 
6) Muji has by far the best and most reasonably priced stationary
7) Today I discovered a new shop, Uniqlo, which had some lovely clothes. I might get a pair of chinos for summer (NB these last two make it sound as if I spent all day in shops. Actually I spent approximately 12 minutes in shops today on my way back from Bodeans...honestly!)
8) I really like getting up so early in the morning. It is lovely to have a bit of quiet time on the walk down to the station and to pray through the day.
9) How much do the V&A archives resembles a stereotypical Victorian mental institution?! I get a little creeped out wandering down the corridors.
10) How great it is to return home to D after a wonderfully productive and exciting day, knowing that things are just happy right now. I feel like the most fortunate and blessed of ladies.

A varied list indeed! Tomorrow I start on my final book read through. The next few days could be long ones as I approach Friday's deadline.  And, of course, the marking has just come in so I get to read a pile of essays. The third years have made up their own projects so I'm really excited to read what they have to say. Phew, I am done. Tea beckons.
CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?