Monday 28 March 2011

Starting a new week

So, D is back after watching Scotland lose to Brazil. He had a great time though and enjoyed catching up with his mates and eating pulled pork and ribs at Bodeans (anyone who knows how much I adore this London restaurant will spot the slight tinge of envy in my writing there). It is VERY good to have him back. I spent Sunday...tidying the house a little, reading, watching the football, eating dahl, and attending a friend's baptism. I also rewatched Christopher Guest's Waiting for Guffman, which is just about the funniest film ever! Trouble is, as I watched, I began to wonder if I was actually turning into Corky St Clair. I too do breathing exercises and force my students to play silly games as a warmup. I too float around talking about set design, 'darling'. Oh dear, I need to step away from the theatrical world before I find myself wearing sequins during the day (that's a wee joke for one of my colleagues there!).


I also spent a bit of time thinking over my current goals and objectives. I think I've probably posted on this before, but I like to do this on a fairly regular basis. The last time I was in London, I nipped into Muji, which has to be one of my most favourite shops. I bought a couple of notebooks for just this purpose. As you might imagine for a person who spends most of her time reading and writing, life only really makes sense when I see it written down! It is a bit like taking a life MOT, and I can only say that I find the process very rewarding.

Lots of things to enjoy today: a lecture for the gorgeous second years and I even got the technology working first time round, a lovely two hours in the Enterprise cafe reading a play I'm teaching (The Revenger's Tragedy), our V-C's inaugural lecture (complete with rather excellent buffet!) and some great evening quiet time after a tough capoeira workout. And have recently had some fab email chats with old friends. Our mates are now spread all over the country and, indeed, the world, but it is always great to say 'hello'!

Anyways, we missed University Challenge tonight so a glass of juice and BBC i-player in bed beckons. Next Creation and Realisation rehearsal tomorrow. Received two emails of notes from student-organised meetings over the weekend and, apparently, the purpose-built Facebook page (don't ask me, I don't do Facebook) is buzzing. Man, those guys are just great! I love their enthusiasm and vision - it is all rather inspiring actually.

CSW

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear your news in PERSON this weekend! So I passed MUJI yesterday but didn't know what it was. After perusing the website I think I'll have to take a trip back soon:)

    ReplyDelete

Want to say hello?