Wednesday 17 March 2010

Plays, tunes but, as yet, no automobile

Welcome to the mid week blog post. It's been a busy few days as teaching has begun again. Today was the first Uranium 235 rehearsal and it all went very well. The students are brilliant and we did a lot of laughing.

So after a couple of delicious game burgers (yes, you hear right) from our local butchers, D and I have sat down to listen to some classic tunes, though at present we are listening to some Rolling Stones '80s funk - now that I could do without! Honestly, D's unbelievable music collection really turns up some turkeys at times. It must be remembered that he does have at least two Victoria Beckham songs on his ipod and Davey's Disco is the stuff of legend in the Warden clan. Talking of music, I've been listening to a good number of soundtracks recently while I've been writing class plans for Postmodern British Drama. Lots of Avatar, Sherlock Holmes and the Da Vinci Code, smattered with a couple of Peter Gabriel tracks when I need a good singsong.

But the big news of the week...I won a game of squash. Granted I lost five games...but I won one. Hoorah! We're both getting better and are less stiff the next day. The walk back up the hill is a bit of a killer though!

In a run down of this week's reading matter: I finished Habits of the Mind which I enjoyed very much, and I've moved on to a book along similar themes, Two Tasks of a Christian Scholar. I've only read the first chapter but so far, so good. I'll put a proper review up when I've finished. I'm also continuing with the Ian Rankin book. It has got rather exciting and I can't currently see how it will end. I'm not the biggest fan of crime fiction generally, but I'm actually quite enjoying reading about the ins and outs of Edinburgh. It even mentioned my favourite theatre company, 7:84! Still bashing on with the Charlotte Bronte biography in the evenings. It is a lovely restful book before bed. Due to current courses I have also read a number of plays - Chicken Soup with Barley by Arnold Wesker, A Taste of Honey by Shelagh Delaney and Sink the Belgrano by Steven Berkoff. I generally read at least three plays a week at this time of year. Some are old favourites and some are brand new. Next week it'll be plays by Edward Bond and Caryl Churchill so its about to get a little bit violent and shouty (yep, that's an official academic word), but I'm sure I'll cope.

I'm also enjoying reading through Philippians in my quiet times. It is such an amazing book and, after spending last year reading through the whole Bible once and the New Testament twice (phew!), it feels quite good to be able to work slowly through a book and really get to grips with the verses. I've been thinking quite a bit about "God's peace" in Philippians 4. Sounds pretty good to me, folks.

Anyways, Davey's Disco has ground to a halt while the DJ is trying to sort out contents insurance for the flat. Don't worry, it'll be the Floyd loud and proud in a couple of minutes. Still waiting on our new car to arrive...I'll keep you posted on this one.

CSW


No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?