Tuesday 20 April 2010

And now you find yourself in '82...


...and if you get the reference in the title then we should definitely be friends. So I have just finished watching the first episode of Ashes to Ashes on iplayer. It is a BBC show based in the 1980s following a group of coppers. But the 'high concept' bit is that the lead lady has actually travelled back in time from the 21st century (after being shot - yes, I know...) and is trying to work out what on earth is going on. Sounds like a recipe for television disaster but actually it is rather enjoyable. The DCI is Gene Hunt (if you are currently following the elections you'll notice that David Cameron has been compared - unfavourably - to him) and he is a pretty complex soul. I have absolutely no idea what is going on but I'm enjoying the journey. Speaking of Journey, the soundtrack is just brilliant.

Having grown up in the 1980s, I feel a little nostalgic about it. Yes, it was the decade that brought us shell suits, crimped hair and the collapse of British industry but it also gave us the Commodore computer, the A-team and some of the most magnificent music ever heard in the ears of man. Ignore punk, (which was rubbish...that is it...there is no discussion necessary on this issue) the 1980s witnessed the rise of Asia and Yes with Trevor Rabin. Huzzah on both accounts! Oh, and Mark Knopfler was wearing his trademark headband. We are seeing Knopfler in concert in a few weeks. We booked it via t'internet on a sunny day in Portugal (so that'll be last September then) when we knew nothing of this move to Lincoln. So we are heading right back up to Weegie land for it. Showbiz, huh?

As expected the week is pretty busy. I didn't get back tonight until 7.30. Just a couple of weeks of slightly mad running about and then a good few months of research time. It does mean that I only have a couple of days of teaching left though. This block has been just great and I'll really miss the students. Still the show to come though...

Anyways, I'm going to get a cuppa before snoozing. Have a magnificent week. I'm off to dig out my leg warmers.

CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?