Thursday 8 April 2010

Back to life in Lincoln

So after a lovely weekend in Edinburgh we travelled back to Lincoln via Helmsley in North Yorkshire. It is one of D's favourite places and we enjoyed a couple of fantastic rolls from Hunters. I also found a pretty rare copy of a Dylan Thomas film script in the second hand bookstore. I like a literary bargain. The Skoda Superb did very well bombing up the A1.

So the past few days I've been trying to catch up with teaching prep for the coming two weeks. Today I did a solo walk through of Uranium 235 in Studio 1. Anyone who saw me wandering around talking to myself, script in hand would have imagined that the madness had finally descended. It helped to clear the mind, however. Also finished my Monday lecture on regionalism for the second years.

Tonight we went to prayer meeting for the first time. We had our new Pastor and fam over for a meal on Tuesday night. They were our first non-family guests. D and I like having folks over and did quite a bit of entertaining while living in Timberbush. Now we've had friends over our new flat feels more like a home. Well at tonight's prayer meeting who should we be remembering but the Moore family in Papua New Guinea. In a strange coincidence, Carrubbers (our Edinburgh church) is their sending church. Good stuff!

A bit sad to see the Reds go out of the European Champions League last night. I am a BIG Manchester United fan, though I must admit, in the modern money-obsessed era, I struggle to get too passionate about football any more. But it's nice to see Tiger back at the Masters. Ok, so he's made his mistakes (and I feel mighty sorry for his poor wife) but I am a little bored by the high-handed attitude of the media and the self-imposed custodians of morality. Sometimes it feels as if we are waiting for our heroes to fall just so we can pat ourselves on the back and stand as judge over them. Humans are so very strange. After following Tiger around at the Open a couple of years back and been truly awestruck, I for one am glad he is getting himself together. Here's hoping he can get back to his best quickly.

And, of course, the election countdown has begun in earnest with David Cameron looking unbelievably smug next to Sir Michael Caine (no less!) and Gordon standing outside Number 10 surrounded by the cabinet with Harriet Harman and Alistair Darling looking like wee goblins on his shoulders. Man, I love elections. I am such a geek that I am following the BBC election live feed. Fabulous.

Anyways, I am off to watch Tiger's last few holes. A quiet weekend ahead. Out tomorrow night with friends from uni but otherwise a fairly free few days of washing (clothes, not myself though I'm sure I'll have chance for a shower at some stage), letter writing and golf watching. Might even make my way through another couple of old skool Shawn Michaels matches on youtube. Brillig.

CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?