Saturday 17 April 2010

Films, plays and farmers' markets

We've had a lovely restful Saturday with a long lie and then a walk into town to purchase a couple of things from the market. We love the Farmers' market and today bought some terrific cakes, a couple of local sausages and some strawberries - real English strawberries! The first local strawberries of the season are always amazing. I sat out on the balcony again for a while, writing a couple of letters and reading my new David Lodge novel, Changing Places. I've always meant to read a Lodge book and saw a cheap trilogy on Amazon so thought I'd give it a try. Enjoying it so far though I'm just getting used to his style. It is a satirical look at academia so it is right up my street. It is based in 1968 and its interesting to see the changes that have occurred over the years.

Tonight we enjoyed a great film. We haven't really watched any films recently. D and I have quite different movie tastes generally so it is a little difficult to decide what to watch. But tonight we finally watched a film given to us by our friends Rachel and Jake called A Mighty Wind. It is by the same folks who did Spinal Tap and this time, rather than rock music, they are looking at the folkie scene. It was great. My highlights were definitely the guy in the front row (who looked like D would look at a folk concert - uncomfortable, bored and underwhelmed) and the invention of the 'neuftet' e.g. a music group of nine. Great stuff.

So this is my final full week of teaching and, rather unbelievably, that'll be my first term over. How time flies! But, of course, there is lots to be done over the next few weeks including the play. Uranium 235 is going very well. I am really proud of the students. On Friday we ended up laughing until we cried. Hilarity and hard work is a great rehearsal combo. I'm not sure what I'll dream about when it's all over - it currently keeps me awake at night! Perhaps (hopefully) the book...

And so the election fever continues chez Warden, though, I must admit, I'm not bowled over by any of the parties so far. Thursday night's debate was inevitably won by Nick Clegg though my highlight of the night was the incredibly awkward end with Gordon running to the front row to shake hands while Cameron and Clegg took their bows before following The Valiant Leader. Gordon should definitely avoid jokes or pop culture references - (paraphrase) 'Well thanks for still being with us after ninety minutes. At least we weren't up against the X Factor or Britain's Got Talent'. Oh Gordon...cringe...cringe.

Hope you all have a fab week. I'm certainly looking forward to mine. Here's hoping we'll be off script (ooo, that's theatre speak btw) by Friday.

CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?