Friday 13 August 2010

Another fun list

Ok so for my Friday list this week I thought I'd go for my top five poems after grappling with the top five book issue for just too long. So...(in no particular order):

Walter de la Mare, The Listeners.
I love this poem so much, mainly because it was one of my Granny's favourites. Given that we had a shared love of all things poetic I had to include it. When I read the first two lines - "Is there anybody there", said the Traveller,/ Knocking on the moonlit door - I can always hear her voice.

The Bible, Psalm 139
OK, so it's impossible to place Biblical poems alongside these other examples but it is my favourite psalm. Incredible poetry and, best of all, it reminds me that I can't go anywhere where God is not. Very encouraging.

W.H. Auden, Musee de Beaux Arts
Perhaps an odd choice given that it concludes with the unnoticed death of Icarus but this poem is one of Auden's best. It is such an insightful presentation of the problems of the contemporary world. People are so concerned with their own business that things like compassion and empathy seem to disappear. Still an amazingly timely piece.

John Donne, Batter My Heart Three Person'd God
I could have chosen a number of Doone poems, including a fair few that are incredibly risque! I love Doone because he never limited himself to just one genre and was always contentious. This poem, like many of his others, is just so amazingly passionate.

Elizabeth Barrett Browning How Do I Love Thee? Let Me Count The Ways
Oh, goodness I'm struggling. I should've given myself a list of ten! Rather than go with Robert Browning's terrifying My Last Duchess (this is my favourite one to teach as it always takes students by surprise!) I thought I'd choose a poem by another member of the Browning clan. I have a hand-painted version of Sonnets from the Portuguese (again, a present from Granny) and all of them are just beautiful.

So, there we are. As usual, I hope this gets you thinking.
I am sitting in my new Jack Wills cardigan. Just lovely and cosy while the rain lashes down outside.

Enjoy the evening
CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?