Friday 6 August 2010

Lists, lists, lists

Good evening,
So, given that my life is fairly dull right now (at least dull to everyone who doesn't have a morbid interest in the historical avant-garde) I started thinking this morning about bringing some much needed readability to my blog posts. So I thought I'd start posting some lists. I love a good list, in fact my life is governed by them. So, here's the first (and if I remind anyone of that bloke in Nick Hornby's High Fidelity then...well...you're probably right):

Top Five Favourite Films of all time
Now I don't claim to be a film buff at all. In fact of all the artistic genres this is probably the one I can take or leave. This is in marked contrast to D who is a bit of film fan and despairs at my lack of knowledge. But here goes...

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
This film reminds me of a lovely Edinburgh evening when D promised he would take me to see this film if I accompanied him on the Christmas Big Wheel. After 10 minutes of high vertigo terror we went down to the Omni Centre. And I cried...a lot! I don't usually cry at films (ask my Mum who thinks I am terribly cold-hearted!) but this film really made me think about wonderful spiritual truths. I also want to be Lucy Pevensie!

The Great Escape
I love this movie. Moving, funny and historically interesting, it's got it all, including the amazing Steve McQueen on a groovy 1940s motorbike.

Aladdin
An odd choice you may think for a nearly 30 lecturer but I still think this is the best animated film ever. Sister (Smelly...no, she wasn't Christened that!) and I used to watch this whenever we were off school. In fact, as I remember, it was our only real video for quite a long time. Everything else was taped off the telly. I also saw it on my first ever trip to the cinema. Granny B took a whole load of us to the cinema in Wilmslow (?) and I still remember how exciting it all was. Smelly and I could recite the whole script with accents!

Inception
So I only actually saw this film last week but it creeps into my top five (obviously these things are subject to change) simply due to the way it got me thinking. Contrary to the impression given by my last choice, I actually like films that make me think a bit. Well casted and brilliantly directed, this is a film that will stay with me for a good long while yet.

A Beautiful Mind
My final choice was a tough one. There are a number of films I have really enjoyed, not least the new Sherlock Holmes, the X-Men series (I'm a sucker for a good super hero), Spinal Tap, the Lord of the Rings trilogy etc ad nauseum. But for the last of my top five I've plumped for A Beautiful Mind. I find this film academically inspiring even though it is about maths! I still remember being surprised by the psychological twist the first time I saw it (only me?) and the soundtrack is mega.

So there you go...With any luck that got you thinking. I love this sort of thing. I'll post others on different topics and hopefully it will mean that summer blog posts are slightly more interesting while I am chained to a computer writing the book.

In other news we have finally booked our summer holiday. Given that we are going away in a couple of weeks it's about time we made concrete plans. So, in typical Warden fashion, we are staying at a beautiful B&B in the middle of the Yorkshire Dales for a couple of days before heading north to catch up with Edinburgh friends (and for me to sing at St Giles in my comeback gig - yikes, nervous isn't even the word!). Then it's off further north to the Cairngorms for a jolly few days with Charlie and Liz and some peaceful walks around Loch Garten. Lovely. I'll take some photos for the blog.

Oh, and we've just booked Asia gig tickets for December. Front row centre. Woohoo!

That's all...a quiet weekend ahead. Doing Body Combat tomorrow for the first time since leaving Edinburgh. I won't be able to move on Sunday morning!

CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?