Sunday 1 August 2010

Sunday Review

A slightly different Sunday Review for you tonight blog fans. With D away in Edinburgh I decided to pay a visit to another church - New Life, Lincoln. While it isn't entirely my cup of tea I was super impressed by all their social projects (seriously, these guys are doing some amazing work) and by their drummer who was surrounded by a perspex box a la King Crimson's Robert Fripp. Be still my slightly proggie beating heart! Spent the rest of Sunday watching Mark Webber win the Hungarian Grand Prix, eating ravioli (my absolute favourite!) and reading a new book. After finishing Leviathan last night (you must read this book) I turned to a D recommendation, A Voyage for Madmen by Peter Nichols. It documents a 1969 round the world yacht race. I know a bit about this story already as D is completely fascinated by this story. I'll give you a review when I'm done.

The only good thing about D's absence was complete control over the remote! And last night I indulged my guilty love of musicals by watching the Proms celebration of Stephen Sondheim's 80th birthday. Now, I don't universally love musicals; there are a great many that drive me bonkers (don't get me started on those band-based shows!). But give me Oklahoma (especially if the lovely Hugh Jackman is starring) or West Side Story and I'm away. I also love Sondheim's musicals. A great many of them are pretty political actually and he is master of wonderful tunes. The highlight of last night was the fabulous Bryn Terfel as Sweeney Todd and then performing 'Everybody Ought to Have a Maid' from Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. He even danced! It was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. Actually this musical is close to my heart as I remember my Dad performing in it. He was magnificent, of course. It is a bit of a racy show so it was also a little alarming! Catch it on iplayer if you can.

Anyways, a week of writing beckons. After completing that bloomin' Regionality paper I am now back to the book. I have about three weeks to go until our holiday and I want to get the whole book planned. It isn't an outlandish ambition but it'll take three weeks of hard work. I'm thoroughly enjoying the writing process though. It feels as if it is slowly coming together. And, with D back, everything feels better. I did enjoy the Skype chats (especially as the Warden/Young clan were in situ so we could have a nice catch up); I even watched the Rugby League on Big Dave's TV via Skype. But modern technology isn't as good as just having him around.

See you later in the week
CSW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to say hello?